by: Sharon Rowe, CEO & Chef of ECOBAGS.COM
Whether you’ve grown them in your garden or picked them up at the Farmer’s Market or store, Brussels Sprouts never fail to deliver great flavor. Try this simple recipe to turn these petite veggies into a gorgeous side dish. This dish is so easy and it delivers big time.
- 3-4 pounds of Brussels Sprouts, trimmed
- High quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse salt/sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. A hot oven is very important.
- Trim your Sprouts: Cut off the very end of the hard bottom (not all of it) & remove some of the outside leaves. If you have a few loose leaves from the trimming, don't throw them away! Add them to the mixture. They get crunchy and are wonderful
- Place the trimmed, washed Brussels sprouts in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil to coat, lightly and evenly. Sprinkle with coarse salt and toss again. Pepper lightly.
- Place in a single layer on one or two cookie sheets and begin the roasting process. It’s important to toss these frequently and to swap shelves in the oven to avoid burning them. The roasting process will take 35-40 minutes.
- The sprouts are done when they are nicely caramelized and blackish. These are best when served slightly cooled, which gives the flavors a chance to set up.
- Fun things to add: pan roasted pignoli nuts, dried cranberries, shaved parmesian cheese